~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Hamida's Induced Labor and Delivery Story~ 02.25.2014

Salam alaikum sisters.

I am here to share the story of Hamida's birth. Mashallah, alhamdulilah, Allah was very beneficent and merciful to me.

I was very scared to be induced. I have always been very natural minded but my OBGYN felt it was for the best since it seemed Hamida was not thriving in the womb. 

February 25th, 2014 our induction was scheduled. It was so strange to wake up, walk into the hospital and not be in labor. We were told to be there at 6am, so we had dropped Ahmad off at a friends house around 5am. It was so strange to think the next time I saw my little boy he'd be a big brother. My heart was breaking when I handed him to my friend. His little eyes brimming with tears. THE.HARDEST.THING.TO.DO.

We arrived at the hospital a little early, around 5:30am. We were checked in and walked up to the Labor and Delivery ward. The nurses got me settled, put my IV in, and we signed all the consent forms. At 6am the nurses shifts changed and my actual nurse who would be attending to me that day came in. Alhamdulilah, Allah is all knowing and provided me with a nurse who was so lovely and amazing. She is very natural minded herself and loved the birth plan I had written up. She even said she would remind my OBGYN to give me a chance to have Hamida naturally before any pitocin would be given.

Alhamdulilah, once again, Allah provided and instead of my OBGYN inducing me (breaking my water) the midwife who works with my OB came to induce me. I have a close relationship with the midwife and was so happy she was able to do it instead. They figured since I was being induced my labor wouldn't go as quickly as it had with Ahmad (my labor with him, from start to finish, was 2 hours and 15 minutes). The nurse told the midwife to be very rough while breaking my water so it would encourage a quicker labor. Ya Allah, it was quite uncomfortable! The midwife mentioned my water coming out like a river!

So at 8:20am the midwife broke my water, and said I was already dilated to 3cm and she said was able to stretch me to 4cm. She said she would pop back in around 12 to check how I was doing and if nothing had progressed they would give me pitocin.

After 15 minutes of my water breaking the contractions came. They became more and more intense and were becoming more focused in my back. I did not have back labor with Ahmad, and I will admit, the contractions with this birth were more painful then they were with Ahmad. I was pacing the room and preparing my mind for a potentially long labor. At one point I keeled beside my husband,  who was on the couch and rocked back and forth, I think at one point I even shook him during a contraction.

My husband hadn't eaten breakfast yet so I told him between a contraction to go ahead and eat something down in the cafeteria, and while he was headed that way to tell the nurse I would like for her to come to the room. The nurse came and I asked if I could take a warm shower since the contractions were getting more intense. She said she wanted to take my vitals real quick and I could shower. My contractions were now 2 minutes apart and very focused in the back, the only way to really deal with it was to sway back and forth. I asked her to check how far dilated I was before preparing my shower. She checked and I was 8cm!

She said, "You can not shower, we may not be able to get you back out of it!"

She called the midwife to come (who had already drove back to the clinic).

Before I knew it, there where nurses in the room. My nurse was amazing and would alleviate the back labor by pressing on my hips with every contraction. She checked me again and I was 9cms. I then wanted to start pushing. Because of the back labor, the only position comfortable for me was on my knees, and alhamdulilah, my nurse said I could position myself in any way I wanted.

I pushed for about 5 minutes (with no coaching, but letting my body do what it wanted, again, my nurse was amazing and respected all my wishes in my birth plan). I dont know how many times I pushed because I started having the urge to push at 9cms. With Ahmad I never screamed but this back labor was excruciating and I screamed while pushing. I felt her head almost come out, but the contraction finished and her head slid right back.

I muttered, "We're almost finished!"

I had the urge to push once again, I screamed, "Ya Allah!"

Her head was out, one more push and little Hamida was born at 10:12am. Only 1 hour 52 minutes of labor, delivered by my amazing nurse. Directly after Hamida was born she was passed through my legs and went straight to my chest.

I was awe struck as if she was my first. She was perfect, all slimy and sticky, but perfect. So much hair, bright red lips. As she lay on my chest, I felt complete contentment. 

Alhamdulilah. We were able to delay clamping the cord until the midwife came to deliver the placenta. We were able to do skin to skin for a whole hour after birth, getting a great latch only 30 minutes after!

After an hour of skin to skin the nurses weighed Hamida, she was 6lbs 1oz and 19 inches long.


Hamida at 2 days old.

Despite having to be induced, alhamdulilah, I am so happy and satisfied with my labor and delivery. 

17 comments:

  1. MashaAllah congrats on an absolutely beautiful baby girl :) You have an adorable family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I may ask, why did you delay cutting the cord until the placenta was delivered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind you asking. :) It helps promote a healthier level of iron and blood. Here is a wonderful article:
      http://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/cord-clamping-delaying-cord-clamping#.UxOMfONdXfI

      Delete
  3. If I may ask, why did you delay cutting the cord until the placenta was delivered?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I may ask, why did you delay cutting the cord until the placenta was delivered?

    ReplyDelete
  5. MashaAllah!

    Congratulations dear sister... may Allah make her a good girl and inspire her to follow the right path and help you raise her in the best way that satisfies him!

    Mubarak :-D

    Noor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your baby girl is amazingly beautiful mashaAllah! Mabrook sister! I'm happy for you. May Allah guide her and grant her a healthy and fulfilling life.
    Salam :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ma sha Allah ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. assalam.. sister i have already seen your update..actually i was thinking about you and your princess Hamida.. Iseen your last update on mail, and read.. i was very happy to you have your baby with normal process.. Alhamdulillah.. i also have baby girl Her name is Asma.. she was born in 5th december.. every stage of motherhood is amazing ...

    see you inshaallah,,, share some picture of your kids..

    salamalaykum..

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am Gonul.. this is my husband google account..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salam arleykiiii
    i love allah y barik ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Asalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah Umm Ahmad!! Remember me? It's Aalia (although I go by my pre-Islam name) Umm Alawi. I started Blogging again and thought of you and your little family mashaaAllah. I see you have a new baby -- that's amazing and your story was beautiful to read. I'm very happy to see you doing so well with Ahmad & Hamida, may Allah always bless you and your family with happiness & health ameen. Do you have Twitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam habibiti, how are you? I've missed you and so often wondered how you've been, especially since you also removed your facebook and instagram oh so long ago. No I don't have twitter, can't get the hang of it. Lol

      Delete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!