~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Finished Projects

Salam alaikum!

I have finished quite a few projects so I thought I would post pictures of them to share with you all! I really enjoyed working on these, and as much as I love having my little boy Ahmad, girls are so fun to prepare for! Alhamdulilah, Allah is blessing me with the best of both!

So I will start off with my most favourite project. It has been 5 years since I sewed up a quilt, and yes, there are mistakes in this one I made for Hamida. Mostly in the binding as I wasn't about to go tacking it down by hand! A mother of a toddler has no time for that. No, no, no. 

Basically what I did, I pieced together the center block, called the "exploding pineapple", appliqued it on a square piece of fabric, and covered the applique seams with lace.


I then went about crocheting a back part. I really wanted this quilt to be unique and different, so I combined lots of colors and patterns hoping it would turn out, and alhamdulilah, I *think* I pulled it off. LOL Did I manage it?


Considering how quickly babies grow, I honestly didn't want to invest a ton of time sewing particular fancy dresses. So I stuck with a really easy, throw it together, pattern. The peasant dress pattern. 


This maroony/burgandy dress with black and white sleeves were all re-purposed from old clothes of mine. :) The maroon part is this really slinky slippery jersey material that I felt would be so cool during the summer, so I didn't put elastic in the sleeves, just for the purpose of keeping it breathable for our hot Florida summer days. I think this dress will last for quite a while as it can be easily used as a shirt once Hamida is older.



Last but not least, here is a little vest I knitted. I didn't make it long sleeved as it doesn't get too cold here in Florida, so if it happens to get a little chilly in Hamida's first months of life, I will just put a long sleeved shirt underneath. 


So these are the projects I have finished, and in all honesty I can't say I have anymore sewing that needs to be done. Well, I take that back, I do have a few burps clothes which need to be serged and such but nothing too exciting. 

Inshallah all of you are well!



14 comments:

  1. Assalamu alaikum! I love your work, especially the quilt and the vest - I'm sure it will look lovely on your little one inshaAllah :) Thanks for your posts; you inspire me to knit more ;)
    All the best, salam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam, Alhamdulilah thank you sis. I am happy to know that you are wanting to knit more, mashallah!

      Delete
  2. Wa alaikum masalam,
    You're very talented ma'shaa'Allah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MashaAllah sister!

    Your work is amazing!

    The little woolen jacket is just adorable! And the quilt is just so elegant! :-)

    Little Hamida and little Ahmed are lucky to have a mom like you... May Allah bless you and your little family...

    Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inshallah. <3
      Alhamdulilah, thank you.

      Delete
  4. Asalam arlekyoum
    whaouh is so beautifull i love
    my quilt is finish lol
    kiss from france
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam, alhamdulilah, I am glad you like the quilt! Xoxo

      Delete
  5. Selam again sister...

    I am looking at the little woolen vest and thinking: you are using relatively thick wool for a baby's vest, and I consider it nice and brilliant, and cute! I tried to do a similar thing but the ladies who are my references are insisting that for babies I should use thin strings! They insist that there is (baby yarns) and this is the only type of yarn that I can use for babies! :-D

    Also, mashaAllah you apparently do neat knitting. Can you post the patterns you use? Or direct us to the places from which you download them? Do you have online resources to learn, like for example, how to make sleeve curves and neck curves?

    Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam Noor,

      Yes normally you would use a thinner yarn for babies, but this yarn was given to me by my grandmother. I am a bit tight fisted you might say and refuse to buy anymore yarn until I have finished what was given me. LOL But you can use any yarn you want for babies, just some prefer the thinner yarn as it is softer then the thicker yarn.

      Concerning the pattern, I adapted it from here:
      http://www.pickles.no/plain-vest/
      I didn't bother to link it as I used this pattern as a base and didn't really follow the directions. For instance,instead of a consistent garter stitch, stockinette stitch, then garter stitch again, I did the rib stitch, stockinette stitch, then rib stitch. I also scaled it down to fit a newborn, where this pattern is for a 1 year old.

      Inshallah, this is of some help!

      Delete
    2. I have a thing for thick yarn, I feel it is more eye-catching. Thin yarn is so ordinary to me. And -between us- you achieve faster in thick yarn LOL
      I recently managed to convince my husband to come and shop for yarn with me after 3 weeks of attempts. And when we went to the shop he liked three colors (black, brown and blue) and insisted I take 2 big packs of each so that I do not run out of wool before I finish his scarfs. I discovered that I need only 2/3 of a pack for each scarf according to the width and length he wanted, so I ended up with one and a third pack of each color as excess :-D I am stuck with these colors until I finish them lol

      Thanks for the link, sister. It is useful. My best reference, the one who taught me knitting, used to be my late aunt. But now that she passed away I am trying to find online resources and regain my old knowledge and skills.

      Thanks again, jazaki Allah kheir.

      Noor

      Delete
  6. Beautiful!
    I wish you much success in being a mom of two kids!
    Greetings from Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!