~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Homemade Cloth Diapers

Salam alaikum.

So I wanted to share my progress on the cloth diapers. So far I have sewed up enough for Ahmad and just need to start some for Hamida, well, actually I need to buy material before I start sewing anything. LOL

I sewed 10 cloth diapers, 10 covers, and about 12 inserts, (which is plenty for a toddler) all under 40$. How may you ask? Coupons, sales, and using some old fleece blankets I already had on hand. I did do the figures and to have plenty of diapers for Hamida it will cost us around 150$. The figures are not including when I will have to sew the next size up for the soakers.


Here are the cloth diapers I made, they are one size, and can fit from a newborn to toddler. Of course with a newborn you have to fold it down to size, but I am not going to complain. :) It is also a pocket diaper, so I just have 2 layers of flannel and I stick a fleece insert in between the two layers. I don't have a snap maker thingy, so I am just using a pin, which is covered by the soaker, so no worries about Ahmad getting it undone.

You can find the free pdf pattern here:


Here is a fleece cover I sewed. These are absolutely amazing! Ahmad had made a big stinky plus pee and it wasn't even damp. I think if he had been in a disposable it would have leaked everywhere!

You can find the free pdf pattern here:


Here is Ahmad, modeling his new cloth diapers. :)

Of course, you could sew these in great prints and colors, but I prefer to keep things white and simple. Besides, then I can reuse them for other babies despite the gender. 

Some of my readers have asked me if I was on pinterest, so here is the link to my board:

6 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! I really miss cloth diapering... I used cloth on all 6 of my children. It was so much easier to potty train, they never had a rash EVER, and the amout of diapers that stay out of land fills polluting of earth is worth it... GO GREEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a cloth diaper baby and I knew that I wanted to cloth diaper before it was "all the rage" but my husband with our first baby wasn't convinced. We also really couldn't afford the online bought diapers, and when we first married I didn't have a sewing machine. Well, I did, but it didn't survive all the moving around I had done before I married. So we found it easier to spend 20$ a week rather then shell out all the money it takes. But now, alhamdulilah, we are doing better and can afford more things. :)

      Delete
  2. It's so easy to find patters on the web and I would go to the thrift store and get old 100% wool sweaters to make the liners and I never had a diaper leak on me. The trick is to shrink the wool so that it's tight and then cut the liner. Sew it to the inside of the diaper and it never touches the child skin but the stay so dry. I used wool in my night time diapers or heavy felt. You can even find an old wool blanket and use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I am so happy that there are ladies out there willing to make their hard work for free. Mashallah, so kind.

      About the wool sweaters, I have a friend who sews cloth diapers for a living and she said sometimes it's a hit and miss since the previous owners didn't know how to care for their wool items. Did you buy the lanolin oil to keep them in mint condition?

      Delete
  3. Salam alayki sister good job with the cloth nappies mashaAllah. I just followed you on Pin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam sisters. Alhamdulilah, thank you sis!

      Delete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!