~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Iraqi Fish Soup

Salam alaikum, so I posted a picture of this soup on my instagram and was asked for the recipe. Due to its length I told the sister I would post the recipe here. 


In all honesty, I am very picky when it comes to fish recipes, which is why I was so surprised how delicious this recipe is. I originally got it from Emiratican Kitchen but have changed to suit my husbands Iraqi taste buds. I have had fish soup made by some Iraqi ladies and didn't care for it, as it was very fishy tasting, but I suppose all the yumminess in the soup cancels out that fishy taste.

UPDATE 01/20/2014: I wanted to update you all on this soup. I had quite a bit of leftovers from it one evening and thought, why not put the orange lentils with it to give it more substance? It was delicious! And my husband said he liked it even more with the lentils in it. So, give it a go. :)

Marinade for the Fish:
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 TBS 7 spice
1 inch cube of fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp salt
juice of 1 lemon
2 thick fish fillets with the skin on cut into fairly large chunks not small or it will fall apart while being cooked!! (In the original recipe you cut up two whole fish, but I didn't have any whole fish on hand, so I used what I had)
Rub the marinade on the fish and let set for 20 minutes. 

Ingredients for the Soup:
2 TBS oil
1 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 large tomato skinned, seeded, and chopped
1 green chilie
2 turnips cubed
1 large carrot peeled and cut into medium sized "sticks" (refer to the picture to see how I cut my carrots)
1 tsp 7 spice
1 maggi stock cube
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 TBS of pomegranate molasses
2 tablespoons tomato paste
6 cups of water
2 dried black lemons (loomi aswad) pierced
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup of oil for frying

Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a skillet and slightly fry the marinaded fish. Enough to where there is a little bit of brown on it, but not fully cooked as you will be fully cooking it in the soup. 
While frying the fish, heat oil in a large soup pan and cook onions until slightly translucent. Add the chilies, ginger, garlic, turnips, carrots, and tomatoes, cook until the tomatoes have softened. Add all the seasonings, tomato paste, pomegranate molasses, and water. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer, let cook until vegetables are almost tender (about 20-30 minutes). Add the fried fish and chopped cilantro. Cooked for another 10 minutes.
I serve this with plain white rice and salad.

1 comment:

  1. Looks so amazing! Thank you for posting the recipe :) I will try this out soon, God willing.

    ReplyDelete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!