~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Rant on Abaya Companies and Other Choices Muslim Women may have.

Salam alaikum sisters. 

I was wondering if any of you think or wonder about what I am about to address?

So many sisters are adamant about all of us wearing abaya's or something similar. Yet, almost every abaya company you come across is very expensive. Those that are not expensive are of terrible quality and only last a few washes and wears. 

I do sew, and I do know the prices on things. I also know if you buy material in bulk it is even cheaper. I understand you must also count in the labor, delivery, etc. I just find it so disheartening, that sisters who are not as blessed financially are unable to invest in nice quality abaya's because of the high prices. 

If it isn't the prices, then the abaya's are not practical for mothers, expectant mothers, or nursing mothers. Yes I know there are *some* options, though none that are really to my liking. So I thought I would show/explain how I dress, in a practical and affordable way.

First off, I always try to go to the second hand store. Many times there are nice clothes tucked away, perfect for us Muslim women. I always go straight to the dress section, especially where all the black clothes are (personal preference as you can pair black with anything). I look through them and often times I will find button down black jumpers. These are perfect, if there is a slit or if it is a bit short, you can pair it with either a black skirt, a colorful skirt, or even a pair of pants if you are intending to play with the little ones at the park.


Even if the jumper is short sleeved or sleeveless, you can put a shirt under it as I did in the picture above. (Yes Ahmad's blanket has to be in every picture).

I am sure the most "go to" item Muslimah's purchase to resemble the abaya are maxi dresses. I find them really pretty, but when I buy something I want it to last and be wearable for a long time. That includes any upcoming pregnancies or when I would need to breastfeed. Before I buy anything, I consider these 2 things:

Will it work while I am pregnant?

Will be functional while I am breastfeeding?

Would it still fit and feel comfortable while I am neither of those?

Below is a picture of me and Ahmad on my 20th birthday. Here I just had a plain black skirt, black turtle neck and a cardigan on top for modesty, this is when I was still breastfeeding Ahmad.


I will admit, I am not much into fashion, but more into practicality and simplicity. 

 "Simplicity, clarity, singleness: These are the attributes that give our lives power and vividness and joy as they are also the marks of great art. They seem to be the purpose of God for his whole creation."

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
 Leonardo Da Vinci quotes 
"The Prophet (pbuh) said: The believer is simple and generous, but the profligate is deceitful and ignoble." Dawud :: Book 41 : Hadith 4772
Narrated AbuSalamah ; AbuHurayrah


Anyhoo, these are just some thoughts (and a rant, sorry about that). Insha'allah, those who can't afford the expensive abaya's will benefit from this post. 



11 comments:

  1. nice post, thank you! maybe you should start an abaya company in the future?? :) Your design ideas are great from what I've seen in previous posts...

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa alaykum asalaam, sis! I completely agree with you. When I made the intention to wear hijab, I began looking into jilbabs -- abayas, mainly -- and I was so shocked at the prices!! I now usually just wear maxi dresses with loose cardigans over top, or long sleeves underneath, because I cannot afford to spend so much on one item of clothing (and if I could, it genuinely seems so crazy!). InshAllah I will get a sewing machine and began to experiment myself :) that's wonderful that you are able to sew your own clothes! MashAllah :) Good post. (PS - your family is beautiful! Allah(swt) bless you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Salamu Alaykum. If you can afford to, most websites will sell to you at wholesale prices if you buy 5 or more items. I know that sounds expensive but it's a whole year worth of Abayas. Check out 2hijab.com or islamicboutique.com. Inshallah that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assalau alaykum sister, simplicity is best for me too. I am a bit upset with the last islamic clothing company I dealt with and even the sisters i bought from locally so I have decided not to rush to buy from them for a while as the prices are huge and not so value for money. I picked up two wonderful layered dresses in Matalan for £10 and just picked them two sizes bigger so they were very loose and flowy. I am very happy with them. So much cheaper and if any problem from you have your receipt it's not a prob. I Adore charity shops you always find a gem in them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!How are u?Do u want to be the best in blogspot?!
    Do u want to have many many fans in your blog?COME ON!
    We have many nomination for your blog :

    TOP 7 "cute " BLOG IN JUNE
    TOP 10 "I AM a MUSLIMAH " BLOG IN JUNE
    TOP 5 "THE BEST " BLOG IN JUNE
    TOP 7 "THE MANY FANS " BLOG IN JUNE
    TOP 7 "LOVE FOODS " BLOG IN JUNE
    Come on!GIVE ME YOUR BLOG AND WIN THE NOMINATION !

    go to the : http://zoom--me.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree, i think this affects all areas of retail. I know in Islam a profit is allowed but it is not permissible to make more then 50% profit. And some people have abayas that are worth £10-£15 and sell it for triple the amount. Its not fair and islamically unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://hijabhouseonline.com.au/purple-florence-dress.html totlly looks like an abyaya you would like besides the bow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salam,

    You have a cute family masha'Allah.
    I wear long coats and long tunics with pants, cause skirts and dresses aren't
    wearable when you go everywhere by bicycle.

    XO Laleh

    ReplyDelete
  9. DEAR SISTER : GREAT BLOG WISH THERE WAS MORE LIKE THIS ONE..... BUT, WHEN I FIRST SAW THIS BLOG THE FIRST THING I THOUGHT WAS WOW SHE IS VERY PRETTY... THIS WOULD NOT NE GOOD IF I WAS A MAN BROWSING AROUND FORGIVE ME I AM NOT TRYING TO BE INTRUSIVE JUST TRYING TO PROTECT A FELLOW SISTER.
    YOUR SISTER A FELLOW FLORIDIAN

    ReplyDelete

  10. Nice,
    Thanks for your great informations, working in, URDUTAHZEEB, ASIAN AFFAIRS.

    Try to post best informations like this always


    ReplyDelete
  11. MaşaAllah güzel bir aile. Türkiye'den selamlar!

    ReplyDelete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!