~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Kabsa


This recipe is originally from a youtube cook, her name just left my mind. I found this wasn't salty enough and the rice was a little mushy I decreased the broth to 3 3/4 cups, when her recipe was 4 cups. 

Ingredients:

Pre-cooked Chicken and broth:
2 pieces of chicken (or more if you want)
6 cups of water
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 TBS salt + 1 TBS powdered Chicken boullion

Combine chicken water, onions, and spices. Cook for 1 1/2 hours or until fully cooked. Strain the chicken but reserve the broth and use for the rice. Shred the chicken.

Rice:
2 cups basmati rice (soaked)
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 large onion
1/2 cup white raisins soaked in water
1 TBS salt
1 TBS ground cardamon
10 cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp Arabic 7 spice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 3/4-4 cups chicken broth
4 TBS butter
2 TBS oil

Drain rice and mix all the seasonings with the rice. 

In another pan add 2 Tbs oil, 1 TBS butter, onion, and tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes and onions are soft (about 10 minutes). Add rice and raisins, mix, and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add 3 3/4-4 cups of chicken stock from the precooked chicken. Stir and place on top the 3 TBS of butter. Let rice come to boil, cover, and turn to low heat. Cook for about 30 minutes or until done. 

Place rice on platter and evenly distribute chicken on top. 


10 comments:

  1. Salam alaikum. I might try this recipe. I like kabsa, but have never actually made it cause the long list of ingredients scares me! I'm typically moer of a "5 ingredients or less" type of person, you know? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam! You should for sure try it! I understand, but in reality, it isn't all that difficult, most of the ingredients are spices. :)

      Delete
  2. Another tasty looking dish, I've never tried kabsa but it looks really tasty ma shaa Allah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it, it is very yummy. :)

      Delete
  3. Assalamualaikum wa RAhmatulahi wa barakatu UMM AHMAD!!!!

    how is little bebe doing?? awwww masha'ALLAH!!! SO CUTIE

    I see you made kabsa masha'Allah!!! This is one dish that I love but i have stayed away from because every time I try making it ..it is complete FAIL.. Alhamdulilah my husband is kabsa king masha'Allah and makes it... oddly enough, though I am Chinese, he is the one who always cooks the rice -_-

    xo
    Khadijah
    looks delicious! bil3fia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam. :) Alhamdulilah he is doing well. :) Masha'allah, it must be nice to get a break from cooking. it is kind of your husband for cooking for you. :)

      Delete
  4. Masha'Allah looks really nice :) Might try this! Husband is Pakistani, but this reminds me of the delicious Afghani dish we love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mashallah... you have really doing a good job with the iraqi food.
    My sister in law is Iraqi and I love a lot of the food. My favourite has to be keba, and baitenjal with Rice (The rice with the crunchy crispy top) I forget its name now...

    ReplyDelete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!