~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Klecha~ Ka'ak~ Date Cookies

This recipe is from another lady online, I tried finding her web page again to give her credit, but I have spent nearly an hour trying and have given up. So to let you know, this is not a recipe I came up with.

Dough:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon black seeds 
1/2 cup of each:
oil
butter
milk

Date Filling:
2 1/2 cups of mashed dates
1/4 teaspoon of each:
Ground Cardamon
Cinnamon
Ground Anise Seed
Ground Nutmeg
Whole Fennel Seeds

Egg Wash:
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon milk

1/4 cup Sesame seeds



I use 2 packages of these pressed dates, each package has 13ozs of dates.


Take the dates out of the packaging.


Get your spices ready.


Combine dates and spices. If your dates are too sticky put a little butter or oil in it, knead well to make sure spices are evenly distributed.


Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and black seeds. Mix well.

*This was the first time I tried this recipe with black seeds, they are completely optional. I recommend NOT including them in the recipe.*


Beat eggs and butter in a separate bowl until well combined.


Add milk and oil and mix.


Add the wet mixture to your dry mixture.


Knead well, I use my hands as it seems the dough combines better this way. 


Now that you have everything ready, begin dividing the dough and the filling into equal parts. I was able to get 36 pieces of the dough and 36 pieces of the date filling.


I usually have the dough about the size of a walnut.


How it should look when you have divided everything into equal parts.

*You should turn on your oven at 350F*


Take the dough and form into a rectangle. Then take the date filling and role into a rope.


Wrap the dough around the filling.


Roll until you have reached your desired length and thickness.


Connect the ends to make your shape.


Mix your egg, milk, and vanilla to make your egg wash. Beat well!


Brush cookies with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

You must use the egg wash or else your sesame seeds will not stay on the cookies when you go to store them!

Bake at 350*F until bottoms are browned, if the top is not brown turn the broiler on and brown the tops until golden.



The finished product!

Enjoy with coffee, tea, or milk!

12 comments:

  1. Assalamu alaikum sister. Thank you very much for the recipes :)I will try it asap in┼čaAllah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam! Insha'allah you will enjoy it! Let me know how they turned out for you, insha'allah.

      Delete
  2. Salam Alaikum,

    These look ever so tasty mashAllah I'm sure my dh would like it if I made these someday...bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me how they turn out for you and how your family likes it!

      Delete
  3. WE IN IRAQ SAY TO THE PERSON WHO COOKS SOMETHING AND EAT IT" ALIF AAFIA" IT MEANS "THOUSANDS HEALTH" SO MY DEAR SISTER " ALIF AAFIA"



    NADA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks, I like this way of saying it! My husband is Iraqi abut he calls it ka'ak. I know you are from Norhtern Iraq, he is from Southren Iraq, perhaps that is the difference! :)

      Delete
  4. Salam sister, I just tried making klecha for the first time using this recipe and they turned out amazing, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam ukhti, Alhamdulilah, I am so happy this recipe was a success for you! <3

      Delete
  5. Assalamu alaikum. :)

    I will be borrowing from your recipe, my own childhood memories, and my imagination to make Klecha this week, in memory of my Mum, Allah yarhamha.

    Shookran uchti wa Allah i khaleech.
    Hama (Siena, Italy)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salam Alaikum sister, I too am borrowing your recipe, and ty it is a very good one. My husband who is also from south iraq,and I a revert of 13 years actually loves this recipe. So again thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shukran for sharing everything you go through ... I feel as I'm apart with . As any mother , wife there are so many challenges we face . Enshaallah you and your family will be great ... I'm a mother of five lost twins at 27 weeks and I know what you feel . My sister god bless you . Shukran um salih from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um Ahmad ,
    Salam alakoum my sister ... My husband is from karbala and they call klecha , kaak also ! I'm new to Islam for I'm Canadian converted to Islam . Huduallah for all you blogs . Shukran sister
    Um salih

    ReplyDelete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!