~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bamia~ Okra and Beef Stew


This is normally just enough for me and my husband with a little leftover.

1 onion chopped

2-3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 lb beef (inch cubes)
1 bay leaf
4 cloves
a pinch of black seeds
1/4 cup oil (I use olive oil)
water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp paprika (optional, I use it to make the tomato sauce more red)

Bouillon (I do not use cubes, rather the powdered kind that comes in the big containers as it is cheaper to buy it that way. So I usually put 1 tsp of the powdered bouillon in, sometimes less or sometimes more it just depends how salty or not salty the soup already is.)
1/4 cup Tomato paste

1/2-1lb of frozen okra (the small kind and add as much okra as you like)




Chop onion and garlic up coarsely.


Heat oil in the pan.


Once oil is hot, add the onions, garlic, bay leaf, cloves, and black seeds. (Normally I add the paprika as well but I forgot while making it this time and ended up putting it in when I put the tomato paste in).


When onions are translucent add the 1 inch cubed beef and brown.


When beef is browned add just enough water to cover the meat.


Like so. Let simmer for an hour or so- until the meat is tender. Time always varies as it depends how tender or tough the meat is.


Once meat is tender add tomato paste, salt, pepper, and this is when I remembered to add the paprika.


This is the kind of paste I like to use, I buy it at a local halal food store.


Let simmer until sauce is to your desired consistency. Some people like it more soupy, I like it more to the consistency of stew.


Once the sauce is to your desired thickness add okra.


Cook for about 10-20 minutes or until okra is tender and is bright green like in the picture. 


Serve with white rice and salad. This (as shown above) is just for me and my husband. When I make this for company, I have a big platter of rice and put the bamia in separate bowls for everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you sister for your sharing. We prefer cooking bamya with olive oil without meat. For the recipe please visit this website http://www.turkishfoodandrecipes.com/search/label/bamya
    Apart from this, It is chosen little dried bamya to cook the soup. This is a traditional Turkish (region of Konya) recipe for a soup of dried bamya in a tomato, meat cut into morsel sized pieces and onion base

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dried banished, how interesting! I haven't even seen dried okra in the stores I have been to. I will look at the website when I'm on the computer. :)

      Delete
    2. *Bamia my smartphone changed it to banished! LOL.

      Delete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!