~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

How I Serve My Company

When I was younger, I use to be nervous having company over. I lived with my father and we had a select few of friends so I was never really around crowds. When I went to college in Georgia, every Saturday evening after church we would have a youth gathering, I think I went maybe 2-3 times the whole year I was there. After I came to Islam I moved to the city and little by little got use to crowds. Now I LOVE having company over. I like it when a stomach is full and the taste buds are satisfied.

Normally we have company over in the evening for just some chia (tea). While I wait for the water to boil, I set out fruit- strawberries, cut up melon, grapes, sometimes pomegranate, and something sweet such as basbousa, qataif bil qishta, or mahalibi, whatever I have handy. Sometimes company comes over for supper, but that is a completely different topic. The Iraqi Qataif bil qishta looks like this, this picture is of some I just made yesterday:


Many of our friends are Iraqi's so I try to cater to their tastes and liking's. Most of the time I make the chai plain- with tea leaves only- but sometimes I like to change it. I have put cardamon pods in the water as it boils. Another option is making "bootni", Jasim and his Iraqi friends really like this kind of tea. You put a little sprig of sage in the hot water when you put the tea leaves in. This is the kind of tea leaves I use, once I found this kind I have NEVER went back to any other kind (this is not my picture):



 Most Arabic people like their tea or their coffee really strong with lots of sugar. Though there are some exceptions, as I know one man who drinks his black black coffee without any sugar or milk. Eww.

What I really like about the Iraqi people are their simplicity. I don't have to worry about not having enough chairs or a big enough table, they are content with sitting around a table cloth that has been put on the floor. A lot of them also eat from the same dish with their hands- which I find a bit odd but to each their own- at least it saves me on the dishes!

2 comments:

  1. MashAllah it sounds like you're naturally a great hostess! That's a great quality to have--I hope I can learn to host gatherings in my home one day InshAllah.

    I just started following your blog (I got the link from your profile on ShiaChat). I live in Georgia and I have lots of family in Florida so I feel like I have an affinity towards you already :)

    Anyway, if you have any questions about Shia Islam (or anything else) you're welcome to email me and inshAllah I can be of some help. tazaabha@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa alaikum salam, thanks! Insha'allah you will be a great hostess as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!