~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Basbousa~Namourah

I didn't think to start taking pictures for this blog post until after I finished making the sugar syrup so please forgive me that there is not any pictures on how to make the syrup. Also, when taking these pictures I was doubling the recipe, so do not compare the recipe measurements to the measurements in the pictures.

Syrup Mixture:
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
2 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS rose water
1 TBS orange blossom water

Prepare syrup first. Combine sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring mixture to a boil.
Boil for 8-10 minutes. Add rose water and orange blossom water and set aside. 

Cake Mixture:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp Almond extract or you can use vanilla extract- whichever to your liking
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups course semolina flour
1/2 cup very fine semolina flour
1 cup milk- preferably whole milk
1 TBS baking powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease 9x13 pan with tahini paste- or oil if you like.






Combine butter and sugar and cream together.




Add eggs and almond extract.






Mix well and set aside.


Take the semolina flours and baking powder and mix in a separate bowl.


Take the dry mixture and gradually add to your wet mixture to avoid clumping. Maybe about 1/4-1/2 cup of dried mixture at a time.




After all the dry mixture is added, the batter should look thick like this.


Now add milk. Add gradually, sometimes you do not need at much as the recipe says, but other times you do- I have no idea why. But the mixture must be a little thick but NOT runny.


In the end it should look of this consistency. 




Put into greased pan.


Take your almonds and place on the cake as shown in the pictures below.


As you can see, the mixture is thick enough to where if you take a knife and run it through the batter, it will leave a line.




Bake the basbousa for about 30-40 minutes depending on your oven. If it's brown on the bottom but not on the top, simply turn the broiler on and watch it. Be sure not to burn it. Mine is a bit dark because baby all of a sudden started to cry. The joy of children! <3


Once you have cut the cake as shown above drizzle all of the sugar syrup on it.


You can serve with coffee or tea. :)


9 comments:

  1. Assalamu aleikum, thank you for visiting my blog. My husband is also Iraqi (Iraqi father, Syrian mother actually).
    It would be nice to know eachother better.
    Oh, and yammy recipe. Masha'Allah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm Youssef Dana, wa alaikum salam! How nice is that!? Do you live in Syria or Iraq? I really want to meet my husbands family but he himself hasn't seen them for almost 10 years. Oh by the way, your little baby is so adorable, Masha'allah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I am sorry to replay so late but I have a half walking toddler (he still needs me to hold his hand.
    We live in Syria now. I had the chance to meet some of his relatives from Iraq at our wedding but most of them he hasn't seen them for long either.I don't know if all Iraqis are the same but his relatives and including my husband they are so funnny and they speack a little bit too loud hehe.
    I hope one day to be able to travel there Insha'Allah

    ReplyDelete
  4. In reply to Umm Youssef Dana:

    Yes all the Iraqis I know are like that! :) We have a lot of friends that come over at night, I have to remind them that we have a baby in the house. LOL Insha'allah, my mother in-law will be visiting America in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AssalamAlaikum my sister, thanks for the recipe, this is one of my favorites, just one thing..this contain vanilla extract, just remember that when you buy vanilla or any extract some of them contain alcohol, so is not halal, i just wanted to say that, have good days, and remeber :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam, yes I realize that, and this one didn't have it. Now I can not find it around, so I buy the powdered kind from the "Whole Foods" store. :)

      Delete
    2. It happens the same for me, i don't find vanilla extract without alcohol so i have to buy powdered vanilla, but i guess it's ok :) Shukran for the recipe

      Delete
  6. Assalamu alaikoum sister,
    I have used this recipe soo many times, and i get soo many compliments! Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I thing my siblings are getting a bit bored of it because i make it so often!!
    I hope you and Ahmed are in good health!
    Iman Amanour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikum salam,

      Ahhh, masha'allah, I am so glad it works very well for you! Hehe, yes I haven't made it for a while just because I made it so often for a long time. :P

      Delete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!