~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Hobbies of Mine


I have been kind of lost at what to write lately. I don't always want to fill my blog posts with my husband and I's social lives- being that they tend to get repetitive. We visit the same people and basically do the same things. So I thought that maybe writing about what I enjoy would be something fun for me, and at the same time giving all of my new and old acquaintances a chance to know me better.

A first hobby of mine is sewing! I absolutely love to sew and create my own patterns. I can take about any store bought item, lay it out, cut a pattern from it, and sew it up. I can also take a basic pattern and create my own styles. There are a few things that I have not mastered and am terrified to even attempt. For instance, I have never figured those invisible zippers or cuffs of a man's shirt. I am completely intimidated on sewing new couch covers- you know the kind that are fitted and sewed on the couch. Other then these 3 things I can do about everything else. 

I also LOVE to cook. I remember when I lived with my mother, that I asked her and my step-father to teach me to cook. So my step dad handed me this potato along with a humongous knife- at least it was huge in my little hands- and said once I learned how to peel a potato they would teach me. That day I raised the flag of defeat and gave up.

When I went to live with my father, my step mother was a kitchen hog and didn't like anyone cooking in there except for herself. Even though I got the "privilege" of being the dish washer. It was when I was 14 I started to learn to cook. I had dropped out of school and started working on a Mennonite farm. When 12 o'clock rolled around, I would help the ladies prepare lunch and this relit the passion of mine. It was like that knowledge was always there it just needed a little push. I learned everything so quickly and it seemed that no matter what I put my hands to it always turned out good.

When I was 16 I started living or taking care of myself. I was boarding with the same Mennonite family I had been working for and we had days where each of us ladies would cook.  But before long my I got antsy and wanted to do something new, so I moved to another domestic farm and helped out an elderly couple. There I cooked all their meals for them, they were vegan so I tried my hand at that and had great success. I was with them for about 6 months until I got the opportunity to go to Puerto Rico. Originally I was only going to stay there for 3 weeks but then the mother of the family had to return to the states to take care of her mother and asked me if I could stay with her family of 4 and care for them and the house. I agreed and this is when my cooking was challenged.

There were 3 grown men- one was the father 2 were the sons- and an 11 year old girl. The men did construction and had fierce appetites- plus they too were vegan. Lets just say, every week I had to bake 7 loaves of bread...

After spending about 3 months in Puerto Rico, I went to Georgia to a Seventh-Day Adventist health institute/medical missionary college. Yes, before I was a proud Seventh-Day Adventist. There of course I learned even more about vegan cooking after being the supervisor in the student cafeteria for morning shift and the only worker/cook for the hospital kitchen in the evenings. (During the day time I was the supervisor in the hospital laundry department).

Later, after I came to know about Islam and embraced it, I went down to Florida to start everything new. I worked in a Pakistani/ Indian store/restaurant, for 3 months- after 2 months of searching for a job. It was there I met my husband who is from Iraq. So now I have learned so many Arabic dishes, that I would say that my cooking abilities are very wide ranged. From the traditional mid-western dishes, to the Mennonites, from Puerto Rico, to vegan and from vegan to Arab.

I have so many more hobbies that I could go on about but I just realized how long this blog post has gotten so I will end it now.

2 comments:

  1. Salam sis just saw ure blog..i LOVE it..lol
    what an experience..u seem to be so cultured at such a young age mashallah.
    You should share some arabic dishes with your readers :)..
    Cant wait for your next post!
    #Morena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa alaikum salam! Insha'allah, I will do that, it just takes a lot- I would like to include pictures and such if I would post recipes. So we will see, it would be kind of difficult since I have a newborn and that is pretty consuming. :) But we will see. Allah belkhair.

    ReplyDelete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!