~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Arabic White Rice

Someone anonymous asked me to make a few posts of my recipes that I use when I cook. Do bear in mind that I don't just go by one recipe, I look at several and combine them- taking the things that I think will make the best outcome. In the end, I end up with my own recipe. So I will be posting a simple recipe today, my favorite rice. :) Every Arab loves good rice and my husband and his friends love mine and I hope that all of you will as well!

What you will need is:

1/4 cup olive oil
3-4 peppercorns
1/4 tsp coriander seeds
About 1 tsp- 1 1/2 tsp of Salt (whatever to your taste)
1/4 cup vermicelli noodles (the inch long ones)
1 cup of rice (I use parboiled Sela rice)
2 cups of water 



Take the olive oil and put in a medium sized sauce pan



Put the coriander seeds, salt, peppercorns, and vermicelli noodles in the pan.





Mix thoroughly and start heating at medium heat.


Prepare your 1 cup of rice.


Once your noodles are as brown as these add the rice.


Mix the rice and the noodles together so everything gets coated with the oil.


Then add the 2 cups of water.


Once the water begins to boil, turn down to low heat, cover and let cook for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender.


Once done, serve with a soup of any kind and a salad. 
*Warning* be careful of the peppercorns. If you eat one your mouth will be on fire, if you like you can use ground pepper just your rice won't be white it will have a dirty tinge to it.


The soup in this picture is an Arabic lamb stew that can be used with any meat. Chicken, beef or lamb. Simple and super delicious. Insha'allah I will be posting how to cook this soup soon. :)

Enjoy! 



9 comments:

  1. thanks for posting that. i never knew how to make that. i like to boil my rice. i do it like spagetti. 12mins and drain, then drizzle saffron juice 1/8c. and the spriggs over it. (saffron & the boiling water is the juice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Reply to Anonymous post:
    I never heard of that way, you should send me the recipe in a private message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you boil the noodles before you brown it in olive oil? i couldn't tell in the pic.
    and i really dont have a recipe for the boiled rice. my husband (saudi) just did it one day, and it is our quicky rice, but good and fluffy. i take basmati rice, and it really doesn't matter how much, because you use so much water, but i use four or five cups. then put it in large pot of boiling water, and dont forget to salt the water or your rice will be bland. test the water for salt taste. and dont forget to clean your rice first, and no need to soak the rice first either. boil for 12min, or keep testing it for the tenderness, but not mushy. then take it to the sink and drain like spagetti. and you really have to do it fast, because the rice will keep cooking and it will get mushy. i will bake a leg of lamb (that my husband slaughter) in the oven with the traditional spices his mom uses. the lamb is really greasy and rich flavor that soaks into the rice. or serve the stew like recipe you make on it. i make similar stew dishes, also. i tend to use more butternut squash in mine. they are more fun to make, because there is no real measuring of ingredients.

    -dice chicken breast not to large or it doesnt absorb flavor. maybe one inch thick or little smaller
    -butternut squash dice it up twice as big as the chicken.
    -can or fresh chickpeas drained.(i have a problem with putting beans in all my stews.
    -large can of diced or smashed tomatos.
    -one or two tbsp of tomato paste, maybe add 3.
    -a large onion diced same like the chicken.
    -any spices you like or garlic and oil.
    -throw it all in a pot and add a small amount of water not to much, it will get juice from the cooking, but watch it just incase.
    -about 15min before it's done, add a cup and a half of chopped cilantro. this is what makes the dish in my oppinion.
    -for the spices that i use. i use the dried ginger and tbsp fresh diced small. and a hot pepper (sometimes i take the seeds out if nobody wants the heat, but you really must put the jelepeno in it. cinamon stick, and most likely the same spices you use in your stew...corriander seeds and hot cumin, but very little. if i make it with the ground hamburger, i dont use squash, and the spices i use is only allspice. and i use red beans, but any bean is good.and i dont put water, because the juice of the tomato is good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fry the noodles in the olive oil. :-) Fry them until they are brown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good apetite.



    peace train

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks i tried it worked out great i fried the noodles and then put them in my rice steamer with the rice and it worked out thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  7. I received a similar recipe from my cousin, who is married to someone from Beirut. It is more simplistic....

    1C white Jasmine rice (rinse until water is nearly clear and soak in water)
    1/2C Vermicelli noodles (the busted up kind)
    1T oil (I use Grapeseed)
    Salt & Pepper


    Brown the noodles in the oil. Drain the rice (that has been rinsed and soaking). Add the rice to the noodles. Add water so the level of water is about 1/2" above the rice. Add salt & pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to med/low for 10 minutes. Stir frequently to keep rice from cooking to the bottom of the pot. As soon as this is done, I transfer to a bowl to get it out of the hot pot and fluff it.
    My husband has always hated eating rice until I came home from a trip to visit my cousin - who told me how to make this rice. My husband now makes requests for this rice and even recently asked me to make a triple batch (to last him all week)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Assalamu Alaikum :) loved your recipe! this is by far my favorite way to make rice but i usually use butter and chicken stock instead of water and oil, i find it's a bit creamier and more wholesome but i think it depends on what the rice is accompanying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA alaikum salam. This was a lost from a few years ago. I do make my rice a bit differently now. Using part butter and oil and I do use chicken stock as well. And not nearly as much water, and changed my method of cooking. You will find that over time your cooking changes tremendously. At least it does for me. Lol

      Delete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!