~Attention~

This blog is intended for women or sisters of Islam only! Any comments, emails, or messages from men will be disregarded, deleted, or blocked.

Fear Allah and treat your fellow sisters of Islam as you would want your mother, sisters, or wife to be treated.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

My Mother

A friend of mine wrote an article about her mother and how she impacted her life. I thought it was a lovely idea, and for the past day or so been thinking and reflecting about my own mother.

For the first 6 years of my life, my mother stayed home and taking care of me and my two younger brothers. I really do not remember those years, except for a few things. I remember her teaching me how to brush my teeth, giving me a daily bath, cleaning our bedrooms after we destroyed it, and cooking delicious meals for the family.

I remember it was Valentines Day, and our mother had bought us all little gifts and hid them in odd places around the house. She then gave us a paper that had the first hint of where our first gift was. After we found our first gift, with it was another paper with a hint, and it continued that way until we collected all of our gifts. I will NEVER forget that day. It has always stayed in my memories. Then my mother and father got divorced.

Shortly after we moved into a little town where my grandparents lived. My mother was caring for me, and my two brothers and yet working to pay for the bills. My grandma and grandpa helped her out a lot by taking me to school and picking me up, then watching me and my brothers when we returned. Through this, I see now- not at the time- but now I see how strong my mother is. She worked hard and sacrificed much for us 3.

She always made sure we did well in school. EVERY day when we came home, we had to do our chores then finish our homework before we did anything else. EVERY day, we had to write our spelling words 5 times each, and no sloppy handwriting! If it wasn't readable we had to go back and rewrite them 10 times each. At the time we thought she was just being cruel, but now I reap the benefits of having the basic knowledge in spelling and very good handwriting. 

I believe when I was 10-11, my mother started going back to college and yet working at the same time. In 2007 she graduated, and is now an accountant. Through my mother I see that no matter what misfortunes take place in your life, if you have the will power, you can make a better life for yourself.

This year of 2011, my mother diagnosed with sarcodosis. Again she didn't let this trial get in her way! She was so strong and proved to the people around her that if you have enough will power anything is possible. She is now her way of mending. I am so very proud of my mother. She was at the very bottom in the eyes of the world; divorced, 3 children, and no college degree. But she proved to the world and to me, that no matter how the world or others see you, you can better your life. It may not be easy, it may require much sacrifice, but in the end it is possible.

I love my mother and all that she has done for my brothers and I. And I am so proud of her accomplishments in her life!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Zandra. I only wanted to raise you and the boys as independent thinkers who were honest, hard working, and respectful. I didn't realize how much more I had taught you by my actions to make things better for us all. Thank you for this tribute. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. MashaAllah!!! Very nice Zahra!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Ahmad's Second Birthday!

Our Anniversary!